Friday, December 7, 2007

Paying Attention

"A question from your friend, the Universe: Just how much time do you spend thinking big? I mean, really, really BIG? Good, very good! Because that's exactly how much of 'it' your're going to get! What a coincidence." From 'Notes from the Universe' by Mike Dooley.

I recently posted a poorly thought out, and even more poorly written thought on those who pretend they can offer advice and even legislate what goes on 'in the trenches/classroom' when they've not been there...ever, or in recent years. I've since deleted it, because I unfairly characterized a close friend as being in the same category as the Patrick Byrnes (overstock.com, and pro-voucher champion...) of the world. Darren HAS been in the trenches, and knows about as much as any of us about 'with-it-ness' as even us long-timers.

He challenged me with his 'what are YOU doing to effectuate change, Russ?' reply, which was sobering, and kind in turn...ouch. This weighed heavily on my mind, to be reprimanded so succinctly and soundly by one of the heavy-hitters in Ed Tech...and I had to admit, somewhat ashamedly, I wasn't doing anything, really. As with his recent post, 'Making Change-One Sock at a Time', I believe we ALL have those 'Ah-Hah' moments (if we remain awake...)...in Buddhism we have a saying, 'When the student is ready, the teacher arrives'. A couple of weeks later, my teacher arrived...ah-hah!

Darren was kind to cover my fanny in his recent post...I know and understand District Policy (number AA419, section IIA7 - to be exact). But, since I don't believe very many of my 'bosses' access the internet, let alone read my particular blog, I'm going to stick my neck out...hey, I'm retired, what are they going to do, fire me?

I watched a young lady texting (hey, read Darren's post, and my comments...how're you going to miss them texting?), and said 'What are you doing?'. Now, it used to be they'd immediately slam their phone shut and say, innocently, 'Nothing...'. My students now know me better, and KNOW I'm really asking, 'WHAT are you doing?'. Natalie was perfect...she kept on texting and answered, 'I'm texting my former boyfriend who has moved to Seattle...SEATTLE! (I'm getting used to this technology, but it stills boggles my mind...ah-hah!). Not fully realizing what I was doing, as the class was now silent waiting for the inevitable 'cell-phone/teacher confrontation', I simply said, ' Find what he had for breakfast, and I'll give you extra credit...'. Off to the races...

Breakfast from Seattle, breakfast from Helena, Montana, breakfast from Laguna Beach, California, 4 or 5 breakfasts from various places in Idaho...it lasted for 10-15 minutes and supplanted a 30 minute video I had on the docket...how's a video supposed to compete with THIS?

Friday is 'Current Health Events' in my class, extra credit. So I decided to take the next step...besides bringing in newspaper article or magazine articles, or things off the internet, why not let them access news from their phones...simple rules: cite the source, know enough about the news you can sit in their desk and share it with the rest of us. If you've EVER sat in a room of 40 students in rapt attention of their classmates sharing the news, hanging on every word, it is priceless...I didn't even have to teach...they did it all themselves! Did they learn Health...hell, yes! I even learned a thing a two, and I Pay Attention!

If this is the wave of the future, I may stay in thirty more years...

No comments: