Thursday, December 27, 2007

Lessons From Football and Bassetball...

As the official 'Voice-of-the-Bengals', that is, the announcer for home games for football and mens' and womens' basketball games, I've had to learn a LOT about sports fairly quickly...as a swimming coach for 35 years, I am like KFC...I know one thing well, and bassetball ain't it. When I announced the ball had been advanced to the 53 yard line in my first football game three years ago, I was soundly laughed out of the press box...but only momentarily.

But, as a student of Sports Psychology, I couldn't resist the opportunity to learn from the sociology of what was occuring in the coaches box, as well as what was occuring in the stands...man, what an education!

Ken Low, a leader in the 'think tank' known as the Action Studies Institute, has posited that, in sport, we teach two skills...'Field Skills and Character Skills'. He further postulates 'field skills...the X's and the O's' are easy to learn, and easy to teach. I agree...most intelligent adults can teach swimming skills...a little physics, a little hydrodynamics, and ... BINGO! BUT, can you teach the DRIVE behind the accomplishment?

I want to discuss some elements of this drive in future blogs, because it relates VERY directly to Educational Technology and it's use in the classroom...

No comments: