Saturday, August 25, 2007

Back to School II

All our Professional Development Days went well, and in spite of my original misgivings, I was able to get through my participation OK. It turns out the 'rookies' I was working with were actually experts and did a helluva job of introducing the concepts of collaboration in ways I couldn't have dreamed of...very engaging and well accepted by the faculty. I ended up with the boring part of the presentation, which was, indeed, the PowerPoint presentation...luckily, through the grace of the Trunk Monkeys and Dilbert I 'spiced' up the educational research a bit...

Guess our personal biases sometimes get in the way of our learning, too.

Now, on Monday, the 'rubber-hits-the-road'...

Funny e-mail from scottie1242@aol.com...seems he's taken exception to Drape's Pay Attention video, and said so. I responded to him in kind, and he wrote back, 'being a Health Educator, what would YOU know about teaching, anyway...'. Sheesh...all these years (33 now) I really thought I WAS a teacher...humbling to be corrected by a REAL educational 'expert'. I have made the mistake of engaging in an e-mail 'jousting' contest with him, which I will cease-and-desist from immediately...no point in engaging someone in a battle-of-wits when they are only half prepared...

Posting a third edit to my original post, I missed a couple of 'posts'...mostly our Educational Technologically requests have begun in earnest...computers and printers unhooked indiscriminately to 'clean' and install new carpet, laptops going down without reason (my responsibility), etc. , see earlier posts: LaubsBlogs. In any case, I have been assigned, against my request, the latter part of the year (2nd and 3rd trimesters) a 'Tech' period...the time when we need it the least...sheesh, the time most 'fires' have to be put out is FIRST trimester...

OK, so our TIC will have to deal with most problems unassisted first tri...now what?! Well, hopefully, our hiring a FULL TIME techie should help...if he/she can. As Forrest Gump said, so eloquently, 'it happens', translated into, later on, 'shit happens'. Kind of glad it's not happening on my watch...sorry, chickening out again .

No comments: